Sunday, March 16, 2008

On forgiveness

Forgiving seems to be one of those things that's easier said than done. Always a goal, but much often harder to achieve. Suppose one day you just decided to forgive a wrong done you...no apology, no nothing. You just said, this would make me a happier person. A happier being. To forgive. No strings attached, no requirements. You tell your brain, which often renegs on its agreements, this time, there is none of that. This time, the decision made, is done. Will you be happier for it? Can you stick with it? Forgiveness is a thing we can grant for little real sacrifice on our own part. Will Smith once said, "The hate in your heart will consume you too." I think he was right. I am satisfied with this choice. And I will let it go, without lingering discontent. It is my gift to give to myself.

1 comment:

Emotional Mullet said...

It takes more energy to hold on to it than it does to let it go and forgive. I am big on forgiveness lately.