Thursday, June 26, 2008

On Second Thought

My crazy family is already driving me crazy. I find that my grandmother is demanding our company, even though she's already got a full house and there are empty beds down the road. But she doesn't want us in the empty beds, she wants us on air mattresses in the den and the basement. Have I mentioned that my grandparents are very conservative, strict Catholics? Tony and I must sleep in separate beds (usually on separate floors) when we visit. My grandma talks about it with relish, like she's really stickin' it to us. And I'm like, "Grandma, we live together. We sleep together all the time. If your rule bothered us that much, we'd stay at my dad's." But I let her keep her victories.
My mom is doing the "you be the middle man with your stepdad and your brother even though I'm a grown woman and should be able to plan for your visits accordingly" thing. Good Lord. I feel for my brother. I hope he survives his adolescence unscathed. I'm not sure what the odds are, though. Who does survive adolescence unscathed anyway?
But alas. We decided to bring the pup. What's the point of a small-ish dog if you're not going to take him on road trips, anyway? He's freshly bathed, so hopefully he can keep his face out of his butthole for a few days. Hopefully he won't find anything dead to roll in this time.
Once we get through the drive, it should be smooth sailing, though. No plans other than to go visit my dad. We'll play some cards. We'll play some board games. We'll visit with family. We'll eat a lot of food that's really bad for us, and we'll soak up the love. So I think on third thought, I'll be a little easier on the ol' loved ones.

No comments: