Sunday, March 21, 2010

Go Green!

Pretty sure this isn't the first time I've used that title, but it's March 21, and it's that time of year again. The Spartans are going to the Sweet 16. Thank god for the internet when you live in the South and your team hails from the Big 10. My borrowed internet connection came through like a champ and I got to watch the second half of the game and the so very enthralling last-second game-winning shot. It was truly beautiful.
Also this weekend we had our book club for "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant. I pretty much forced this book for March (since I'd read it once before and really loved it). I was a little disappointed that two of our regulars didn't attend, because I was really interested in what they would think about it. It's a retelling of the Dinah story from The Bible. It's told from Dinah's perspective, as Dinah is Jacob's daughter who gets raped in Shechem, and then Jacob's sons slaughter all of the males in the city as revenge. But in the bible Dinah appears in one tiny passage and she has no voice in the story at all. The book is a work of fiction that imagines different motives and events, but spends a lot of time just describing daily life. There's a strong focus on women and I think it's pretty historically accurate in describing every day life and customs for these biblical women. Even the men in book club seemed to enjoy it. So check it out if you enjoy historical fiction. It may even inspire you to get familiar with more bible stories if, like me, you didn't attend Sunday school as a child.
A good friend from high school is getting married next weekend, so I'm looking forward to road tripping to the beach and making a little getaway in celebration of the beginning of Spring. It should be a lot of fun, and hopefully not too expensive. It will be nice to get a little break from routine. I'm rooting for one day of good weather on Saturday so that we can at least get some sun in the a.m. and make for a lovely sunset wedding.
Happy Sunday. Have a good week.

1 comment:

The Blonde Mule said...

The Red Tent is one of my favorite books!