Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The SartoriaList

So my friend, Jen, introduced me to one of her girlfriends who just so happens to be a fashionista. And I mean this in the most literal sense of the term. She's a stylist who works with all kinds of clients and lived in New York and was a fashion editor and crazy, crazy life - I'm always so inspired and slightly intimidated by such people - who I always feel have lived so much more than me.
I somehow ended up in a store with her at the mall, and I went into instapanica about what I was wearing and what I was buying and how none of it was remotely fashionable in the trendsetting sense of the term. Or in any term besides high school American Eagle-wear. Not exactly high fashion. Or any fashion, unless you're still seventeen. Which apparently, I am. Well, anyway, Libby-fashionista-pants mentioned the SartoriaList.com and how she loves it so. I had no idea what it was and decided to check it out.
And wow. Do I feel un-stylish. Do I feel like a child. Do I feel like a virgin thrown into a cell with a pack of prostitutes. Not to imply that the stylish are whores. Just trying to analogize my feeling of being completely and utterly ignorant of entire facets of life.
So anyway, I try to check it every few days and see what he's posted. Sometimes I like the pics. Sometimes I hate them. I esp. like when he gives an explanation for why he liked a certain person, because it helps me understand things like balance and shape that I wouldn't think of on my own. Often when he doesn't do this, I feel totally lost, and I think that really, an attractive, thin person can get away with anything. Because sometimes that's all it looks like to me.
But hey, his whole philosophy for starting the site was to shoot pics of people with style that inspired him. So far the inspiration is much smaller for me than the incredible fear of what he'd think of me if he saw me walking down the street. It's not as if I'm hideous, but I'm mostly a simple basics kind of girl. No skinny jeans, no balloon tops, no bondage type heels. Call me practical, but well, I think I'll always prefer a nicely shaped dress to the above. I have accepted my non-trendiness. I will never be that girl who has all of the latest fall fashions, a slim figure, flawless makeup and a great haircut. (Although I'm starting to think that everyone who lives in a major city is this woman. Boy, am I starting to sympathize with Ugly Betty. I knew there was a reason that I loved her). I am lucky to have maybe good hair and a pair of jeans that I like. I watch The Hills, and I'm just amazed by the constant flow of trendy clothing. Nevermind actually choosing what to wear, I couldn't afford it if I could locate a sense of style!
But alas, I am going to keep checking in every so often, even if I never get the balls to comment on how I think that bag she's carrying looks like an 80's gym bag and is so not cute to me. I'm open to inspiration. I'm open to trying something a little outside of my box. So I'll keep looking and see what he's got. Maybe sometime there will be something that I'm not too afraid to consider.

No comments: