Thursday, September 27, 2007

Torture

Why must office ladies place fishbowls full of candy on their desks? Don't they know my weakness? Yes, I think they do. Are they just trying to show off their invulnerability? Now I must spend my day averting my eyes from the Tootsie Rolls that are haunting me. Grrrr.
Everything in moderation, right? Just eat one or two. Well, my belly knows no moderation. It's sort of an all-or-nothing thing with me. So I must resist all day, until about 5:30. Because once I pop, I literally cannot stop. I know this because on Tuesday I ate 14 Tootsie Roll midgees and four Starbursts. I know this because I was thinking the damage wasn't so bad, and when I doubted myself I decided that the only way to know for sure was to count the wrappers in my garbage can. Yes, by 6:00 that evening my tally was 14.
Once I've let myself have five or six, I think, "Ok, I'll just eat them all today and then I won't be susceptible to their charms anymore because they'll be gone." Then I get to work the next morning, and the bowl has magically refilled. Horror of horrors.
So anyway, I had cut out the sweets at work for the most part (and this was mainly because the supply had ceased to exist), and now I have to retrain myself again. It would be so much easier if she would just stop putting them out there. I must be strong. Sometimes I feel like maybe I do know what it's like to quit smoking, because I am certainly addicted to sugar.
Here's to day 1 of sobriety.

No comments: