Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Jinx

Well, I'm a firm believer in most things superstitious, which is why I should have known better than to post that "don't get a ticket" New Quarter's Resolution.
Guess who got a ticket last night? For her expired tags? On the same night she was taking her car to the shop once her boyfriend got home?
Yep, yours truly. What's funny is that it was darkish, 'cause I had worked some overtime, and I was cruising down the road, and I see these two motorcycles next to me, and they make me a little nervous, because I hate motorcycles on the road. The entirely likely possibility of them hitting something small and spinning out of control and then me running over a human body totally freaks me out. That's not to mention all of those a*holes on crotch rockets who drive really fast and do tricks. They are just asking for it.
But so anyway, the two motorcycles with retina-searing headlights pull in really tightly behind me, and I'm actually cussing them to stop riding my ass when they turn their lights on. And I'm like, "God Damnit. What kind of luck do I have, really?"
I have only been pulled over four times in my driving career. And I have cried every time but once (because the one time was so ridiculous). My crying comes from frustration. I also clam up. I'm not a mouthy girl when it comes to figures of authority, or anyone really, but I did tell him that I haven't gotten new tags yet because I am trying to get my engine light to go off. I didn't mention that I was taking my car to the shop in three hours because I figured it would sound like I was making stuff up anyway.
I think the guy felt kind of bad by the time I was silently wiping the tears away, but he still gave me the fucking ticket.
And at this point, I just want to scream, "I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THAT GODDAMN LIGHT TO GO OFF SINCE THE FIRST WEEK OF AUGUST. THE FIRST GUY CHARGED ME $250 TO NOT FIX IT. I'VE BEEN BACK AND FORTH FROM ADVANCE AUTOPARTS & FIRESTONE AUTOCARE & THIS NEW WEIRD GUY WITH A GIANT DOG AND WHO STARES DOWN MY SHIRT FOR THE LAST 3 WEEKS. DON'T YOU THINK IF I HAD THE MONEY FOR A TICKET I'D HAVE GOTTEN MY GD CAR FIXED SOONER!?!"
Well, that's what I want to say. Instead I cry a little more intensely. And get pissed at all of the passersby who have to slow down just to look at me getting a ticket. "Nothing to see here people. Keep fucking moving." But I just merge back in, with the help of the oh-so-pleasant motorcops. And I drive my whiney baby ass back home. Where I fume for a while.
Then I convince myself that there are worse things than tickets and dirty mechanics and roaches and credit report disputes. And today I can see the irony. And I can appreciate that there are worse problems to have. But sometimes a girl just wants to have a pity party. And I did.
It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to.

No comments: