Friday, October 26, 2007

I Had No Idea...No, Really

Well, until J.K. Rowling outed Dumbley-dore last week, I had no idea what fanfiction was. No idea that there are people so inspired by Harry Potter (and LOTR and Star Trek) that they make up their own stories, art, and character relationships based on her characters. No idea that there are websites and magazines totally devoted to these discussions and ideas and works of fiction/art. So I decided to browse a little, and check wikipedia.org (my favorite source for all things knowable), and lo and behold...there are even genres based on homosexual relationships between the characters - slash!
So I checked out some sites. I found one that focuses exclusively on relationships between Hermione/Harry, Malfoy/Ginny, Ron/Luna & Lily/James. Note that the last one is the only one that stays true to the book, and also that Ron gets stuck with Looney (apparently he's not good enough for Hermione...that's a whole different discussion for another day). Well, I'm not going to get into all of those aspects of whether I agree or disagree with what some people like to think about HP & Company.
I guess it just makes me wonder if I'm far less creative than other fans. I mean, it just doesn't occur to me to sit down and write an ending for Harry that's different from the one that Rowling has given him. And I certainly don't want to imagine these characters in explicit sexual situations. That's why I chose to read a children's/fantasty book about an eleven year old. Yes, I know that they all get older, and we get some snogging (yea!), but I don't want to imagine Harry in a situation any more compromising than that. I have to admit that while I do see the creativity there, and the imagination in saying, "Well, she did this with them, but what if it went this way..." I think I'm far more content to let it stay Rowling's work and Rowling's creation. To me, I have no authority to go around changing what she's chosen for her own characters or re-writing the world that she's made for me. Then again..."maybe I'm just like my father, he's never satisfied." Ha ha.
After my perusing I again was left with that feeling of being amazed by the many sub-cultures in our world. And also being a little excited that there are definitely people in the world that are far more concerned with the magical world created by J.K. than I am. This is yet another "whole 'nother world" that I had absolutely no awareness of until a week ago, and yet it has been putting right along for years.
Humph.

1 comment:

Liz said...

When I was in college we had to write 5 pages of the Sound and the Fury from the perspective of a character Faulkner doesn't use as a narrator. I wrote a scene where Caddy finds out Quentin is dead. It still stands as my only foray into fan fiction. And it was forced fan fiction. A forced foray into Faulkner fan fiction. [I love me some alliteration...)

No point to this story. Just saying hi!