Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Word On Words (or Look What The EmoMul Got Me)

So. I like words. I don't know if I ever spend much time pontificating about it here, but I do. I love the English language. I love words. I love what people do with them and what they don't do with them and how changing one suffix or prefix or word in one sentence can change the entire meaning.
That being said, I get pretty excited about rap music and what rappers do to words.
I got very excited about Timbaland's use of the word "fi-hot" in the new song, "Carry Out." I imagined it as the combo of "fine" and "hot". (Because the first thing I do when I hear a new word is picture the spelling in my head). I was about to use this new word in an email, but then I had to do a lyric search to make sure that I was getting it right. Because if there's anything I hate, it's getting words wrong.
So I started looking up lyrics, and it turns out that it's not "fi-hot" as in "fine" and "hot". It's actually "fire hot," but the way Timbo pronounces it you lose the "r". Of course I was disappointed to have interpreted the word wrong and couldn't put it in my email after discovering so. When I told the EmoMul this story, she was all, "Why don't you just make up your own word? Blah blah blah. Urban Dictionary. Do do do."
But for some reason I can't. I like words, I like other people's creativity with them, and every so often I am creative with language myself, but I can't take credit for creativity that was really just a misinterpretation...
All that back-story just so you'd know what this was about:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fi'hot

No comments: