Sunday, April 25, 2010

Water Stations Past, Present And Future

So I realized that I tell y'all about stuff, but that I'm very bad at following up with on-going sorts of things.
Yesterday was the Country Music Marathon & 1/2 Marathon. I had eighteen volunteers made up of my co-workers and their friends and family. We got to our site at 5 in the morning. With the help of another group, we set up tables, filled barrels full of water, lined the tables with cups and filled those with water for the runners. We watched the 1/2 Marathoners run by for a while before we started to get our own runners. We handed out water and cheered on runners. We worked in the rain. We picked up trash.
By 10 a.m. it felt like about 2 p.m. They ended up closing the race early because of the weather, but all of my volunteers were very good sports. We were out there until about 11, and we dropped the supply truck off at homebase at about 12:30.
All in all, it went very well, and I think there was only a short period of time when people were standing around without anything to do. It's funny how different an event is when you're "in charge of it" as opposed to just participating.
I still got that surge of inspiration from watching all of those people go by, from the lone wheelchair racer to the last three people who were limping past us but didn't want to give up, even though they wouldn't complete the full 26.2 miles. It was an amazing experience, and I thank all of my volunteers who came out and helped us to be a part of it.

No comments: