Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Country Music Marathon

In my effort to do, and be involved, and and and and, I decided to organize volunteers from my office for a water station at the Country Music Marathon & 1/2 Marathon this year. I have volunteered twice before, and both times it was a very amazing, inspirational experience.
Through several annoying mass emails, I have rallied enough troops (10) from my workplace to man a water station. I'm a little disappointed that we're going to be in the back half and won't see as many runners as I have previously (at Mile 4); nevertheless, I am looking forward to it, and I think that it's still going to be really cool to see this totally different part of the race.
I just went to the first meeting today after work, and you are looking at the blog of a Water Station Captain. That is right. Looks like the Yacht Rock Captain shirt that I bought two weeks ago was but a portent of titles to come. A lot more work goes into everything than anyone ever realizes. I got a little nervous at the beginning of the presentation, then got pumped up, then got a little disappointed as I realized that my group wasn't big enough to work on its own, and that we'd be grouped with other small groups, but I'm feeling pretty good about it.
I go meet up with my "Sector Coordinator" tomorrow to check out our site, Water Station 14 (between miles 19 and 20) of the course, and to meet the captains from the other two groups. Coordinating the tasks between three different captains should be interesting, but I'm excited to see where we're going to be and who we'll be teamed up with. Also, the more I think about it the more comfortable I feel about having more people than I'd anticipated at the station.
I still need more volunteers, so if you're interested, hit me up! And if not, you'll be hearing about it at least!

No comments: