Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tangled


I saw it this weekend. It was lovely. I will generally go for anything computer animated with either the word Disney or Pixar in it, so it wasn't a big stretch for me. This one is a musical, in the style of the (non-computer) animated movies I grew up on, which I haven't experienced in a while. I found myself drawing parallels between each song and some scene from Aladdin or Beauty And The Beast from my youth. Granted all of the movies are based on the same premise so the songs are bound to have recurring themes. But I kept trying to imagine children who would grow up singing these songs their entire lives after watching Tangled 8 million times. Like the way I still know the words to "Kiss The Girl" and "A Whole New World." God. I am getting old.
But, I digress. I was not disappointed. It was gorgeous. It was funny and heartwarming, and it was fun to watch with a theater full of children. The characters were endearing and the plot was well timed and constructed. There were a couple of scenes that were truly beautiful. It was predictable, yes. But there was a poignant moment when everything went wrong, and the little girl I'd gone with started crying about the unfortunate turn of events. And her mom leaned over and told her not to be upset, that everything would work out. And so, yeah, isn't that the reason we go in the first place?

So, I really, really loved it. You should too.

No comments: