Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Changes Good

So. How does one go about making positive changes in her life? Changes that she recognizes need to be made. Changes that she's been contemplating time and again. But bad habits are hard to break. And while I can very clearly see what changes I need to be making, I never seem to be able to stick with things. For me, it's money and health. I've already addressed my gradual weight gain in a previous post, so I don't want to gripe too much. The difference between the self of my now and the self of my youth is that I know what I'm doing wrong and I know what I need to do to fix it. Really my goal is not to focus solely on calorie counts and expenditures, but rather to make healthy changes in my life and then to see the results in the way my jeans fit.
So how do people resolve to make changes and then actually stick with them? If I did it once, I can do it again.
Ch-ch-changes:
1. Stop using my credit card and start paying it off. The balance just keeps going up. I have to be firm with myself and just say no. And learn to budget better.
2. Exercise more. And in different ways. There's no excuse for this one. It gets harder for me once it gets dark and cold, but I need to suck it up and do it. Especially when I know that it actually makes me feel good. The dog is not an excuse to not go to the Y!
3. Prepare and eat nutritious meals at home. I really want to start eating more whole foods and to expand my cooking abilities. I've been wanting to do this for a few months (since I read The Omnivore's Dilemma), but I basically haven't had enough money left over to try the new recipes that I've bookmarked.
I also need to drink less beer. But I might be condemning myself to failure if I try this during the holidays. So, we'll see about that one.
Anyway, there you have it. Probably the same three things that every girl aims to change every month or two. But maybe now that I've written it down it will make me hold myself accountable?

1 comment:

The Blonde Mule said...

I've been struggling with my weight for years. What's working me recently is running & running with a group. I've been running with 2 different running groups twice a week & then running with a friend on the weekends. Of course, I also still go the Y, but it's the running that's making a difference. You should start running with me. I'll email you the deets.

Food. Have you read Michael Pollan's Food Rules? That may help.

Money. Take your credit cards out of your wallet. I only get paid once a month, so I take what's left after I pay bills, etc & divide that by 4, then once a week I take that amount out in cash & that's what I have to spend for the week. It's tough, but it works.